Tuesday, October 22, 2013

First Observation 10/15/13

     Last week, we set up our micro aquariums! First, we had to pick a water source. There were many neat options but I chose Tennessee River water from a boat ramp across from the Knoville sewer plant. We drew from three different layers of our water source: the bottom mud area, right above the mud, and the top of the water. Using a pipette, we put all these sources in a plastic rectangle that was sealed on the sides and bottom but not the top. We then got to add our choice of plants. I added Fontinalius sp. moss that was collected form Holston River along John Sevier Highway under the I 40 bridge so it was in partial shade. I also added the flowering plant Utricularia gibba L. It is a carnivorous plant. Then, it was time to look at our aquariums under the microscope. The first thing I saw was a rotifer. It had a long slender body and resembled a worm. It was eating the moss. I then saw something that looked like it could be a tadpole shrimp. Its body was rounded and it had a tail. That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment